The Buzz Robotics team, affiliated with Enrico Fermi High School and Enfield High School in Enfield, Connecticut, is one of over 1500 teams throughout the world that compete in the annual FIRST Robotics Competition program. The team, formed in 1996 with industry partner UTC Aerospace Systems (formerly Hamilton Sundstrand), has competed and won numerous awards at the regional and national competitions. The Buzz students are also active in spreading the vision of FIRST by supporting diverse community outreach programs. The team not only promotes math and science through the robotics program, but it builds self-esteem, community awareness, and teaches the benefits of teamwork through gracious professionalism.
The Buzz Robotics team is sponsored by UTC Aerospace Systems (formerly Hamilton Sundstrand), a Division of United Technologies. To learn more about our sponsors please visit the sponsors page.
Buzz is not just a robot, it's also a team. For more information about our robot (including pictures) visit our team history page.
The team's mascot is a smiley face. On our 1996 robot, Buzz 1, we had a suction cup on which an individual from the team drew a smiley face. The smiley face has stuck with the team ever since.
FIRST, headquartered in Manchester, New Hampshire, is a non-profit organization founded in 1989 by inventor Dean Kamen. FIRST brings together an alliance of organizations and individuals to inspire and motivate young people to explore the areas of science, engineering, and technology.
The FIRST Robotics Competition started in 1991 with this goal. The Robotics Competition teams high school students with engineers to build a robot & to compete in an intense, sports-like game. Teams compete at regional events throughout the world, and meet together to compete at the World Championship Event in St. Louis, MO.
The FIRST Robotics Competition challenges teams of students and their mentors to solve a common problem in a six-week timeframe, using a standard kit of parts, and a common set of rules. Teams build robots from these parts and enter them in a series of competitions designed by a team which includes Dean Kamen and Woodie Flowers. FIRST redefines winning for these students. Teams are rewarded for excellence in design, team spirit, gracious professionalism, maturity, and ability to overcome obstacles. Scoring the most points is a secondary goal. Winning means building partnerships that last.
Buzz Twitter Feed
- RT @nutrons: The @NUTRONs win the 2014 Beantown Blitz!! Thanks to @FRC175 Buzz and @Team2648 Infinite Loop! #beantownblitz — 1 month 2 days ago
- Getting more and more excited for Beantown Blitz this Saturday hosted by the @nutrons ! #omgrobots #nefirst — 1 month 6 days ago
- Last memory of the buzz seniors of 2014. #omgrobots #trusschristian http://t.co/WWGqGyxSMg — 1 month 1 week ago
- A huge congratulations to our seniors who are graduating tonight! What an amazing group of students! #omgrobots http://t.co/BAnVjkmOiW — 1 month 1 week ago
- Buzz Seniors at classnight! #omgrobots #trusschristian http://t.co/vbfwbNtwJB — 1 month 3 weeks ago
- RT @KristineAtiyeh: Love my mentor gift from my amazing students on @frc175 ! Thanks guys!! #omgrobots http://t.co/50Laiz2JGS — 2 months 18 hours ago
- RT @DMKennedy: @FRC175 presentation on one of their competition matches was amazing! Great job to them for all their accomplishments! #Enfi… — 2 months 1 week ago
- RT @DMKennedy: @FRC175 is here at #EnfieldCT Council meeting to present their accomplishments. #buzzintheair #tech — 2 months 1 week ago
- @DMKennedy thank you for your support!! — 3 months 1 day ago
- RT @DMKennedy: #EnfieldCT @FRC175 finished 8th in the country! Congratulations! Great job! #tech #robotics — 3 months 1 day ago